Set a Twilio Rate Limit
About Setting a Twilio Rate Limit
- This article is focused on how you can set a rate limit on DicksonOne for your Twilio account.
- A Twilio rate limit allows you to control how many SMS/Text Message and Phone Call notifications your DicksonOne account can send within each hour pre device.
- Setting a rate limit can how you control usage which will relate to your overall Twilio costs.
How to Set a Twilio Rate Limit
Set the Rate Limit in the Integrations Page
On your DicksonOne account go to Manage > Integrations.
- Under your Twilio Credentials you can determine the sum of SMS/Text Message + Phone Call notifications the system can deliver per device each hour.
- Then click Save to save the configuration.
NOTE: We recommend a number that ensures you receive critical notifications but also offers peace of mind that you won’t experience exorbitant costs in the event that something is configured incorrectly. The default is 60 notifications per hour (about 1 per second) per device.
The Rate Limit only focuses on SMS and Phone Notifications.
The rate limit is going to consist of the sum of both SMS/Text Message notifications + Phone Call Notifications. Email notifications are not included.
- In Example 1: the alarm is configured so that 1 contact is notified for the warning alert via SMS and 2 contacts are notified for the excursion alert via SMS and 1 contact is notified via Phone. In this example up to 4 notifications can be delivered by your Twilio account.
- In Example 2: we have the alarm configured so that 2 contacts are notified for the warning alert via Email and 1 contact is notified for the excursion alert via SMS. In this example only 1 notification will be delivered by your Twilio account since Email notifications do not count.
The Rate Limit consist of only triggered notifications.
When an alarm is triggered, only the triggered notifications will count towards your Twilio rate limit and if a set of notifications does not get triggered it will not count.
- In Example 1: if the 1st escalation (warning alert) gets triggered but the 2nd escalation (excursion alert) does not, then only 1 SMS will be delivered. This will only count 1 notification towards your rate limit usage.
- In Example 2: if the 1st escalation (warning alert) + 2nd escalation (excursion alert) get triggered, then 3 SMS + 1 Phone notifications will be delivered. This will count 4 notifications towards your rate limit usage.
Still need help?
Call 630.543.3747 today or